One of the most popular sweets in my island Crete. You can not come to Crete and not try kalitsounia. Is eminently sweet of Easter.
There are many species according kalitsounia region. Sweet kalitsounia are made using sweet cheese – mizithra( looks like ricotta ) and there are two types: the lychnarakia that will make it today and anevata. The first are faster in their manufacture because they have no time-consuming process as you will see once you get used to making the pleats is a breeze. Anevata are more troublesome, not from the standpoint of preparation, but as the saying their name is climb that must wait for the dough to rise.
On the other side of Crete, Chania found salty kalitsounia, which are grasses and are either in the oven or fried, like chortopitakia.
For the filling:
- 500 g. sweet cheese mizithra (Cretan version of ricotta cheese), well drained
- 2 Tbsp. full of sugar
- ½ egg, beaten (hit it and use half for the filling and the other half spread kalitsounia)
For the dough:
- 63 g. butter at room temperature
- 125 g. sugar
- 1 egg
- 62 ml of milk
- ½ vanilla
- 10g, baking powder
- 375 g. soft flour
- ½ egg, beaten
- cinnamon for garnish
- The cheese must have drain well 2-3 days earlier after they put over toast with paper towels, the lid and keep in the refrigerator.
- To fix the filling melt the cheese with a fork and add the sugar and egg and stir the mixture.
- For the dough beat butter fluffy, add the sugar, egg, milk and vanilla. If you use a mixer, chop and put the dough accessory. After I mix the baking powder with the flour, and hurl it gradually into the bowl and incorporate until the dough does not stick now in the hands.
- I continue kneading on a floured surface and after get a small dose of the dough each time I open a one sheet for each kalitsounia. With a rolling pin open the dough to a thickness of about 2 mm and a cup stalemate or a glass diameter of about 8-9 cm cut the sheet round.
- I take it in my hand and with a spreading knife (with round tip) I stretch in the middle of about a Tbsp. the filling of cheese. I spread the filling pyramid forming a knoll in the middle and turning off towards the edges.
- I begin to create the pleats pressing with my two fingers the dough toward the center of kalitsounia. I continue with the next, creating a total of 7-8 pleats on each kalitsounia.
- The place on parchment paper on the baking sheet, leaving 3 cm apart because it will «stretch out.» With a teaspoon smear gently with a little beaten egg over cheese that looks and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 * C, raising and lowering the trays in the oven after 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
– Store in tightly sealed box in the refrigerator.
– I can store them in the freezer.
– Where to take off from the refrigerator or freezer to become again the crisp dough put them in the oven, air for 5 minutes at 180 * C.